LSU Houston has record fundraising year in 2014
As the city of Houston has grown, so has LSU Houston. 2014 was our best year yet! Because of the generous support of proud Tigers in the Houston area and nationwide, we were able to raise more than $105,000 throughout the year to support the university and future LSU students! Way to GEAUX, Tigers!
Record attendance and sponsorships at our annual fundraisers – Crawfish Boil, Golf Tournament and Sporting Clay Tournament – contributed to the year’s success.
LSU Houston hosted Tigers from all over the country at The Official LSU Houston Tailgate prior to the 2014 Advocare Texas Kickoff between LSU and Wisconsin. More than 4,500 Tigers traveled near and far to come celebrate and support us!
Through the continued support of fellow Tigers, LSU Houston was able to make additional commitments and contribute to already existing scholarships in 2014:
- $50,000 – Champions Endowment Scholarship to the Tiger Athletic Foundation for LSU’s Swimming & Diving Team
- To be awarded to a member of LSU’s swimming & diving team.
- Until 2014, the LSU Swimming & Diving team was the only sport at LSU without a fully funded Champions Endowed Scholarship.
- $30,000 – Greater Houston Alumni Legacy Scholarship
- Established a four-year scholarship for full-time students from the greater Houston area who have at least one parent who is an alum of LSU, maintained at least a cumulative high school GPA of 3.0 or higher, and are not eligible for traditional merit-based tuition reduction or exemption scholarships.
- Recipients are chosen by the Associate Vice Chancellor for the Office of Enrollment Management. Neither LSU Houston nor the LSU Alumni Association in Baton Rouge have input into the selection process.
- Initial payment of $30,000 was made toward this five-year commitment.
- $10,000 – Patrick F. Taylor Hall and Chemical Engineering Building
- Renovation and expansion of Patrick F. Taylor Hall, which houses the College of Engineering, the largest college at LSU.
- Final payment of a $25,000 five-year commitment made in 2013.
- $5,000 – Division of Student Life – LSU Career Center Project Fund
- Funding to support the construction and establishment of the Career Center Project administered by the LSU Foundation. The LSU Career Center assists students and alumni in choosing careers, obtaining career-related work experiences as students, developing job search skills, and securing employment or admission to graduate or professional school.
- This fund helped to construct the LSU Greater Houston Alumni interview room where students looking for employment in Houston, Texas can interview with potential employers.
- First payment of a $25,000 five-year commitment made in 2013.
- $5,000 – LSU Alumni Association Greater Houston Chapter Scholarship Fund
- $2,500 – Chancellor’s Flagship Fund
- $2,500 – LSU Alumni Leadership Scholarship Fund (Chancellor’s General Scholarship Fund)
A big THANK YOU to our board members, advisors, volunteers, members and generous sponsors who helped make our events a success. With your ongoing support, we will continue to help future LSU Tigers with the gift of education.
If you’re not a member, join us today and find out how you can give back and support LSU.